Monday, December 1, 2008

Time Check

Tonight in class we were all asked to bring in random materials - anything we could find, scraps of paper, etc. When we got into class, our professor had lined up enough paper bags for everyone. In each bag was an object; our goal was to create a book from that object and the scraps we had brought.

Here's a close-up of mine. Can you guess what it is?

12.1.08 075

12.1.08 078

Can't figure it out? Here's another hint.

12.1.08 080

It's a wrist watch book, but most people thought it looked like a corsage.

12.1.08 062

My object was a magnet that was curled up like a bracelet. I wanted to keep it in that form, so I covered it with burlap and then punched a hole through two layers. I inserted a wire that serves as the latch to the watch.

12.1.08 081

It looks ridiculous, I know. But the point was to experiment and have fun. On each panel I inserted a time that meant something to me.    

12.1.08 064

And on the other side, I wrote in some words that I associate with that time of day.

12.1.08 068

Final Outcome: This was a fun book to make while in class. If I had different materials, I would have made something to keep the "book" shut a little better. I basically just tied a string around it since that's all I had.

Would you consider this a book? It may not be traditional, but it still has a story to it, I think...

To check out the other books made in tonight's class, click here. They will soon be posted if they aren't already.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so awesome! This book reminded me of those old school snap bracelets - remember them? I loved 'em! :o)

Liz said...

I love the books you make Rose. They make me miss art class so very much.