Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Swallow

It's done. It's finally finished! After weeks of cutting, gluing, sewing and printing, I present you with my book about oatmeal - Swallow.

Cat Weekend 141

Not only did I make one book. I made fifteen in total. Here they are, perfectly lined up in the one place where they'd all fit.

Cat Weekend 133

When you open the cover, you see the title page. This is a Micro-Fiction Oatmeal Cookbook made in 2008. They are about the size of a 5 by 7.

Cat Weekend 142

What's great about micro-fiction is that it takes a short story and condenses it into under 500 words. Each entry in my book looks something like this:

Cat Weekend 143

There is a corresponding photo and story. Each piece of micro-fiction is about a person and written in second person. For example, the first line of Peach Puzzle is this: "Parts of you didn't fit together."

Cat Weekend 144

Each bowl of oatmeal represents a person I've met. Sometimes the pictures are clear and very representative. Other times they are more abstract. In this entry, there is a bowl of oatmeal with a lemon slice on top. The corresponding story is about a friend of mine who loves all things lemon

Cat Weekend 145

The book is 24 pages long with an Author's Biography and Colophon at the end. A colophon is a list of all materials used to make the book.

Here's my list:

  • Binder board
  • Decorative paper
  • Cardstock
  • Ink
  • Hemp String
  • A Drill
  • Burlap
  • Plastic envelopes
  • Oats
  • Matte photos
  • Super glue
  • mod podge
  • hot glue
  • Spoon flattened by a hammer
  • Permanent marker

The back of the book is just one solid color.

Cat Weekend 146

You may notice that I spent a good amount of time working on the cover of the book.

Cat Weekend 151

I was really aiming for a layered look - the way that a bowl of oatmeal can be layered with different toppings and items. I used a bird's nest paper because I liked the texture. I then cut out squares of burlap - sort of like a placemat - and then placed a small bag of oats on top each book. I placed the oats in plastic bags to preserve them properly. I then affixed a spoon on top.

My experience in making these books took a lot of time and space. Here are some process photos that you may remember:

I individually cut each piece of paper and all the hardcover parts of the book.

11.21.08 034

My bedroom was a disaster.

11.21.08 035

11.21.08 036

11.21.08 045

11.21.08 046

Final Outcome:  I am more than happy with the way my books turned out. I think the writing is solid, and I think the pictures really add to the dimension of the book. I love the cover, and I'm glad I took the time to really figure out a layered look. I am also happy that I made a hardcover book, as that was something I aimed to do from the beginning.

Things I'd do differently: I printed photos and taped them into the book by hand. In the future, I would probably have these pages professionally printed (in color for the photos) and then cut. This would have saved me a good two hours worth of work.

Several of you have let me know that you're interested in one of these books.... for all of you who are interested, a special surprise is coming soon in the form of a contest. Keep your eyes open and keep reading the blog!

2 comments:

BOBBI McCORMICK said...

I AM SO INTERESTED IN THIS BOOOK! How cool, looks like you put a lot of hard work and effort into such a masterpiece!!!!

Lorrie said...

Hi! I found your book through another website, do you have any left? my email is: lorrieelizabeth@gmail.com

Thanks!