Saturday, December 13, 2008

Chain Stitch Binding

Last night I experimented with a chain stitch for the first time post learning it in class. At first, it didn't go so well. But then I ended up with these and felt completely better.

12.13.08 050

These books appear larger in the photograph than they are in real life. I actually cut an 8.5 by 11 sheet of paper into fourths, and they measure up to one of those fourths.

12.13.08 048

You can probably see the chain stitch better in these pictures. This is an exposed spine. They are connected with a stitching that I can only compare to knitting, though I don't know how accurate that is.

12.13.08 043

These papers were some leftovers from my friend Kate's mom. She was going to use them for Kate's wedding but ended up not. They are actually from Paper Source, one of the top stores for this sort of thing. This paper was actually pretty perfect for the covers. It was easy to glue, and there were no glue bubbles after I was done.

12.13.08 049

I will admit though, this chain stitch was a disaster the first and second time I tried. Luckily starting over isn't so bad. You basically cut out the string and begin again. It's very much like knitting in that way. The key to chain stitching (in my opinion) is making the stitch as tight as possible so the book doesn't fall apart.

12.13.08 046

I think these books will be great for general note taking, maybe for to-do lists or assignment books for students.

Final Outcome: I am really happy and can't wait to give them out as gifts. Though I will say that I need to spend a lot more time with the chain stitch to master it properly.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you did a great job! So the books are 1/4 of 1/4 the size of printer paper? Tiny! I love it :o)

Rose said...

Eating Bender - they are just 1/4 of the size of printer paper. I had a hard time explaining that... I should have just measured the book!

HangryPants said...

Hey! These are really pretty. I love the books you make.

BOBBI McCORMICK said...

Love the books too cute how can I get one! Oh and mrsmays has small bags too:)