Sunday, September 28, 2008

Mixed Muffins Photo Book

You may remember the other day when I baked Cranberry Almond Fig Muffins? Using the pictures from that baking experience, I made a photo book for my class assignment.

Here are some of the materials I used:

9.28.08 038

I first printed out the photos I needed from the baking day and got to work making panels for the accordion. I used a heavy, almost cardboard like material and cut them into squares. I then covered the squares in white paper so they looked a little more attractive.

9.28.08 044

Instead of gluing the photos on first, I decided to make the accordion. I first tried sewing the panels together but they didn't link properly. I then decided to use thinner strips of the cardboard and some heavy duty super glue. I ended up liking the look of the accordion. I thought the cardboard strips would bother me, but I didn't think they looked too bad.

9.28.08 045

Do you see the cardboard sides of the accordion? I decided I would glue the photos on that side, so you could see each one as it popped up. I didn't realize until later that the white panels would be a little boring and just blank. So I pulled out some more ingredients materials, which will be featured later.

Ready for the final result? Here is a series of photos.

9.28.08 048

9.28.08 049

9.28.08 050

9.28.08 054

9.28.08 052

Did you notice the extra "materials"?   

As with other books I've made, there are always complications and happy accidents.

Complications: After I glued the photos to their appropriate panels, I was very discouraged by the white sides. I didn't intend on using food in this project (mainly because I don't know what will happen to it over time), and I only did this to cover up the spots. I think I should have glued back-to-back photos, but I didn't know how that would "read" as the accordion was stretched out. I thought about starting over, but I'd already spent a good amount of time on the book and wanted to finish.

Overall: I am happy with my idea and that I decided to go for it. Although this story may not seem to have layers, there are side stories that I hope viewers can see in the details. I was happy with my use of the plastic spoon as I think that makes the book more interactive. I intended on using a baking rack at first, but I liked the idea of the Tupperware because it could hold the story together, along with serving as the "end" of a muffin's story too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is so creative! I love the plastic spoon and Tupperware container - both great additions! Seriously, bravo. I've got to get my submission ready for this project of yours!