Sunday, September 28, 2008

Books Without Words

The other night in class we talked about making books using only photographs. We were all given the same sampling of photos and told to make our own individual stories using an accordion spine.

The first picture (below) reminded me of the forming of cells to create life. Using that as inspiration, I decided to make a book about my life in pictures.

9.28.08 057

The explosion (shown right) expresses my birth.

9.28.08 058

These panels represent times of turbulence and confusion.

9.28.08 059

Here is a sampling of the photographs.  

9.28.08 060

The end of the book, where I start to form my own life as an adult on my own path.

9.28.08 061

I liked this exercise a lot. For next week's class, we are to make another book on our own using only photographs. It's somewhat challenging to leave words out of a book; it almost feels unnatural. But it really helps you start to see things in a different way.   

No comments: